In general, members can only change benefits once every year during an employer's open enrollment period. The exception to this rule is qualifying life events.
If you are eligible for benefits and have satisfied your benefit waiting period, the following qualifying life events would allow you to change your benefits for yourself, your spouse, or your dependents mid-year:
- Marriage or divorce
- Having a baby or adopting a child
- Death in the family, such as a covered member or eligible dependent
- Change in employment status, such as changing from part-time to full-time
- Dependent has their own coverage through a spouse or employer
- Loss of existing health coverage
- Loss of Medicare, Medicaid, or CHIP eligibility
- Loss of coverage through a parent’s plan (typically on 26th birthday)
- Medicare eligibility (typically on 65th birthday or annual Open Enrollment)
- Changes in household or residence
- Becoming a U.S. citizen
- Starting or ending AmeriCorps service
- Becoming a member of a federally recognized tribe or an Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA) Corporation shareholder
Always refer to your Summary Plan Description (SPD) for full details on qualifying life events.
You only have 31 days after a qualifying life event to make changes to your benefits. To get started, log in to your dashboard and select the Benefits tab. Then go to Need to make changes to your benefits.
Once you submit your request, your employer will be contacted for approval.
- If approved, your benefits will start or end on the date of your QLE.
- Sana does not prorate monthly premiums.
Have additional questions for Sana? You can reach us quickly via chat at sanabenefits.com/chat Monday through Friday, 7 AM–7 PM CST, or at firstname.lastname@example.org or (833) 726-2123.